Jeff Hackettin kausi ohi!

ipanmies

Jäsen
Suosikkijoukkue
Ilves, Canadiens
Mies on itse päättänyt mennä leikkaukseen ja parannella olkapäätään rauhassa.

Jeff Hackett's season is over now.

"Canadiens goaltender Jeff Hackett has decided "to do what's best for Jeff Hackett": surgery on the left shoulder he dislocated twice this season.

It's why Hackett, his wife, Cheryl, and sons Montana, 5, and Kurtis, 3, left this morning for London, Ont., where the Hacketts have their off-season home. He is scheduled to undergo surgery next Wednesday.

Hackett originally decided against surgery after dislocating his left shoulder late in a March 6 game against the Boston Bruins, despite suggestions from team doctors that without surgery, they couldn't promise it wouldn't pop out again. Hackett's argument against going under the knife immediately was that he didn't want his season to come to an end while the team was in pursuit of a playoff berth.

"I wanted to try and be there if something happened to José (Théodore) ... see if I could be of any help," Hackett said.

The Canadiens' acquisition of goaltender Stéphane Fiset at Tuesday's trading deadline put a new face on Hackett's original decision.

"The team made a business decision on getting an insurance policy for their goaltender," Hackett said yesterday. "That was basically what I was rehabbing for. As soon as that happened, I made a decision that's best for my career ... best for Jeff Hackett.

"Having the operation now gives me four months for rehab, and an extra month if something goes wrong. I was prepared to take a chance with rehab ... see if I could recover to the point of where I could play if I were needed, but that's not necessary now."

Hackett called Canadiens chief physician David Mulder on Tuesday to advise him about his plan, and to explain to him why he's having the surgery done in his home town.

"It's strictly a personal decision ... to have the whole family together," Hackett explained. "Having the surgery in London means that I won't have to fly back and forth between there and Montreal. It's good for everybody ... for my family and for the Canadiens' medical staff. Right now, our doctors and training staff have 21 other guys to worry about."

The 2001-02 season has been a gut-wrenching one for Hackett. It started on a high note with victories in Ottawa and at home against Anaheim and New Jersey. In his next starting assignment, only the Canadiens' eighth game of the season, he dislocated his shoulder making his first stop in the first minute of a game against the visiting Buffalo Sabres.

Surgery wasn't suggested. He missed the next 20 games, returning to the lineup on Dec. 12 and stopping 15 shots in a 3-3 struggle in Atlanta. He was to make only nine more starts after that game.

Hackett was exceptional in his last two starts, a 3-2 victory in Chicago and what developed into a 5-3 victory over the Bruins in his final game of the season. He re-injured his shoulder saving a goal with his 36th stop. He left the game with the Canadiens leading 4-3.

Yesterday - despite Hackett's decision to undergo surgery - he was at the Molson Centre doing strength exercises. He also spent a lot of time preparing for the family's drive to London today.

"I'm satisfied with my decision," he said. "I'm finally comfortable with it. I've been told by the doctors it's the best thing I can do."

Hackett siis päätti parannella rauhassa olkapäätään eikä siis tule pelaamaan enää tällä kaudella. Hänen päätökseensä vaikutti se että Stéphane Fiset tuli Montrealiin ennen siirtoajan umpeutumista. Näin ollen Montreal jatkaa kauden loppuun maalivahtiparilla Théodore-Fiset.

Kirjaudu sisään, jos haluat vastata ketjuun. Jos sinulla ei ole vielä käyttäjätunnusta, rekisteröidy nyt! Kirjaudu / Rekisteröidy