Washington Capitals 2003-2004

• 22 753

Ferris

Jäsen
Pisteet ottivat sitten tuolta Caps-pisteautomaatti Caneseilta. Tässä kyseisen pelit arvosanat:

Well, that was nice, wasn’t it? . . .

Forwards:

Jeff Halpern: B. Watching Jeff Halpern closely can be an experience unto itself. He wears his emotions plainly, and you can tell when he’s not satisfied with his play. For the most part, he should have been reasonably pleased last night, but then, this is a team he can match up a little better against. He played solidly in his own end, recording the rare "plus" performance (although Jeff O’Neill did shake free of him on a power play to get enough wood on a shot from the edge of the right wing circle on a pretty feed from Eric Staal to beat Olaf Kolzig). Losing 14 of 24 draws is not his norm, but it is one thing the Hurricanes do fairly well (Brind’Amour and O’Neill are both over 60 percent for the year).

Peter Bondra: B. Peter Bondra . . . checker? I saw him throwing hits out there. He didn’t have a great offensive game, but I wonder if that isn’t residue from his injury.

Bates Battaglia: B+. Bates played a pretty solid game, no doubt inspired by the opponent. He displayed an unusual patience on the last goal, first picking Jeff O’Neill’s pocket, then playing a three second game of chicken with Kevin Weekes to see who would commit first . . . Weekes did, and Battaglia pulled the puck to the side and lifted over the goalie.

Kip Miller: D. He’s been effectively demoted, and it was a strange line to behold . . . Semin-Miller-Peat. There isn’t a whole lot Miller can do on or with this line; Semin is more of a virtuoso than a complimentary player who can feed off Miller, and Peat is not really an offensive player, which is essentially all that Miller is. His was perhaps a bad even-strength fit, and his game showed it. It was invisible.

Matt Pettinger: C+. Pettinger has taken to playing with an edge in his game, and sometimes that can mean taking himself out of plays. I like the effort he puts out there, but he’s got to stay upright more often, or he’s going to get burned more often . . . in some cases, it was a good thing the Caps were playing as offensively inept a team as Carolina.

Robert Lang: B. Two plays reflected his game last night. The bad one first. When the opponent is entering the zone in numbers, one might expect the defensive center to be alert to the man coming late and driving to the net. Lang did this . . . until the Hurricanes entered the zone, then he let up. But for the fact that a pass from the left wing was airborne instead of along the ice, the ‘Canes would have had a tap-in, courtesy of Lang’s defense. The good play was the goal, not for the scoring of it, but for how it showed how Lang can be sort of invisible, and all of a sudden, he pops into a void with the puck on his stick for what amounted to an uncontested shot. It’s that "why skate fast, when you can skate half-fast" thing.

Trent Whitfield: B-. Played a sort of "Mini-Me" version of the game Halpern played.

Mike Grier: B. Should have been a penalty shot, in my view. There is a disturbing trend among referees to resist calling the shot if a player actually ends up sending the puck toward the net in any fashion (although Grier’s "shot" went 10 feet wide). It probably wouldn’t have mattered, since Grier was already deep into a game where his shots (both of them) found the middle of the Hurricane logo on Weekes’ chest. He played a good game on his own side of the ice, though. Folks should appreciate the performance of a guy who probably knows his offensive game is sorely lacking but doesn’t often let it affect his effort at the other end.

Alexander Semin: B. He can still be lackadaisical in his own end, but oh, brother, does this kid have skills in the offensive end. After he has, say, 100 games under his belt, he will be a player other teams will have to account for in their game plan. Right now, he is excellent with the puck and displayed quick hands on his goal off a rebound.

Stephen Peat: C. Well, he broke the five-minute barrier, although he only had two shifts after the first period. Hanlon says he "needs to see more" from Peat. Given the state of his development, the need for the team to pile up points in a hurry if they have any wild dream of the playoffs, and Peat’s own collection of skills, six minutes a night isn’t going let Peat show Hanlon much of anything.

Jaromir Jagr: B+. A 1-2-3 night is more than we’ve seen from him lately, but he looks for all the world like a man suffering from depression out there. Scored on his only shot, then seemed content to skate around looking to set up others. With some more effort, this could have been a monster night for him.

Darcy Verot: B. I thought he played his best game in his short NHL career with the Caps. He’s still antsy to get his first major penalty, searching out potential dance partners, but he did show some other skills and a willingness to head to the net and to play defense of a sort that did not involve the bare-knuckled arts.

Defense:

Jason Doig: B. He was almost invisible out there (except for being out there for the Carolina PP goal). That’s a compliment to him. He’s been conspicuous with poor play lately, but if you can go out there, skate for 20+ minutes, have no even strength goals scored against you (when that is a team weakness), and do it quietly and efficiently, you’ve played a good game.

Steve Eminger: B-. Sometimes, he looked dominating in his own end, showing a willingness to take the body and inflict some punishment. A couple of times, he looked almost amateurish getting caught in the wash as Hurricanes created traffic in front of Kolzig. His "holding" penalty, for example . . . he got smooshed between a teammate and a Hurricane, and had to hang on for dear life so that the Hurricane couldn’t spring free.

Brendan Witt: B+. Less sneering, more playing. A nice job by Witt last night. An efficient game similar to Doig’s, only with more minutes.

Joel Kwiatkowski: B+. Kwiatkowski is kwietly (ok, quietly) putting together a string of pretty good games. He’s one of the few Caps defensemen (OK, right now he might be the only one) who can move the puck out of his own end on his own. He’s resisted the temptation born a few weeks ago to think himself the second coming of Paul Coffey, focusing more on play in his own end. It’s worked out well for him.

Sergei Gonchar: B+. Tonight, Sergei just . . . played. No adventures with the puck, no goofy passes at the offensive blue line to be picked off and taken the other way for a 2-on-1. Maybe it was a team thing, but he played a quietly efficient game after the first period.

Chris Hajt: B. Hajt showed some skill handling the puck in this game, actually seemed very comfortable and very calm making decisions with it in his own end. He didn’t get much time, but what he did with the almost-seven minutes he had was pretty decent.

Goaltender:

Olaf Kolzig: A-. You ever see a baseball game, and a hitter hits a ground ball . . . the infielder thinks the ball is coming at him much harder than it is, and he ends up flubbing the play? That was Carolina’s goal. Eric Staal, displaying a set of quick, soft hands, took a pass at the goal line to Kolzig’s left and threaded a pass right onto the stick of Jeff O’Neill. Trouble is, O’Neill kind of "heeled" the puck, and it floated like a change up toward Kolzig’s right shoulder. Kolzig almost had time to take two stabs at it, but the puck ended up finding it’s way over his shoulder for the Hurricane’s goal. Other than that, Kolzig played an absolutely sterling game, especially in that first period, when the Hurricanes launched 14 shots. Given that the Caps played good defense in front of him on this night after that first period, what I saw was the performance of a goalie when he has a decent team in front of him.

Special Teams: B. I was tempted to give another half-grade or so here, then I remembered that Carolina is dead last in the NHL in penalty killing. That made the recording of no shots on two power plays a bit harder to take. The penalty killing was very good after the O’Neill goal, showing a patience to stay in their "box," although Carolina is hardly an aggressive offensive team.

Coaching: B+. Hanlon seems to be taking it one day at a time, which is all you can do at this point. His hardest job now, and for the rest of the season, will be motivation on a game-to-game basis. But hey, Glen . . . what was that deal on a face off when NO Cap was in there to take the draw? . . . when a Cap had to come from the bench to take it? . . . when Jeff O'Neill could be seen mouthing the words to the linesman, "c'mon, drop the $#%&ing puck!" and was yapping at him all the way up the ice. That could have ended up a naked shot on Kolzig if the time rule on draws had actually been enforced.

Overall: B+. Carolina, quite frankly, sucks. They’re not as disappointing as the Caps, but Ron Francis is showing his age more and more, Jeff O’Neill is having a year he’d just as soon forget, and the Carolina defense, praised so lavishly during their Stanley Cup run, isn’t that good . . . or at least isn’t playing that way. The Caps took advantage of that, which is precisely what "good teams" do to struggling teams. The Caps are not a "good team," but they played one on TV last night.

My Three Stars:

Third Star: Jaromir Jagr
Second Star: Robert Lang
First Star: Olaf Kolzig

Slice o’ Pie: Alexander Semin . . . nice hands on the goal . . . he could probably eat the slice with his hands and not leave a crumb.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gordon lähti farmiin hakemaan lisää peliaikaa ja harjoittelemaan pisteiden tekoa aikuisten tasolla. Ihan hyvä päätös mielestäni. Portlandilla on mahikset pudotuspeleihin, jotka olisivat hyvää kokemusta juuri näille nuorille kavereille kuten Suts ja Gordo. Turha poikia on pitää nelosessa puolustavassa roolissa kun tuossa hyökkäyspelaamisessa on selkeästi kehitettävää aikuisten tasolla. Tosin Portlandin lehdessä vihjailevat, että Suts olisi kuukauden verran sivussa nivusvamman vuoksi.

Tänään on Oilers sitten vastassa ja Rohloff näyttäisi tekevän come backin ottaen Hajtin pelipaikan kolmosessa. Muutenkin nuo ketjut näyttävät aika mielenkiintoisilta:

20-Lang 11-Halpern 68-Jagr
12-Bondra 23-Whitfield 25-Grier
28-Semin 14-Miller 13-Battaglia
18-Pettinger 76-Verot 51-Peat

19-Witt 55-Gonchar
3-Doig 29-Kwiatkowski
8-Eminger 38-Rohloff

1-Stana
37-Kolzig

Ferris

Jäsen
Viestin lähetti InSideHockey
Mikäs sen Nylanderin tilanne oikein on kun ei ukkoa vaan kuulu takaisin kentille?

Caps-loukkaantumistilannetta tämän päivän WPostin "Bondra haluaa jatkaa Washingtonissa"-jutun yhteydestä:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14130-2004Jan13.html

The Washington Capitals made another roster move geared toward their future when defenseman Steve Eminger was assigned to the minors, likely for the duration of the season. Eminger, 20, joins forwards Boyd Gordon, 20, and Brian Sutherby, 21, as recently demoted players. All will play a much bigger role with the Portland Pirates as they make a playoff push.

Those players have considerable NHL experience but will get the opportunity to play more minutes and in more important situations with the Pirates. Of the group, the decision to send down Eminger, picked 12th overall in the 2002 draft, was the toughest, Coach Glen Hanlon said.

"There is no clear-cut way on what is right and what is wrong," Hanlon said. "But we do feel in these situations that this is pretty good, for Sutherby for sure and for Gordon for sure. For Eminger there were more lengthy discussions about what is right." . . .

Center Dainius Zubrus (stress fracture in his foot) attempted to skate yesterday for the first time in 12 days but was unable to do so. The team had hoped he might be back by the weekend but that seems less likely now. Zubrus might try to test the foot on the ice again today. . . . Center Michael Nylander, who has missed all season with a broken bone in his lower right leg, is now wearing a walking cast and is likely two weeks away from trying to skate again, General Manager George McPhee said. McPhee hopes Nylander can return to the lineup in a month. . . .

Backup goalie Sebastien Charpentier, who has not played since Oct. 23 because of an arthritic hip condition, had arthroscopic surgery last week. Charpentier remains out indefinitely. . . .

Defenseman John Gruden, who suffered a concussion Nov. 10, said he is still suffering from intense headaches and is unable to even ride a stationary bike. He is no longer troubled by loud noises, light and nausea, and is feeling better for the first time, but could still miss the entire season. "I'm just starting to smile again," Gruden said. "But the last two months have felt like two years." . . . Winger Brian Willsie, out since Dec. 23 with a concussion, was cleared by a neurologist to begin riding a stationary bike, trainer Greg Smith said. . . . Defenseman Chris Hajt was assigned to Portland, leaving Washington with 20 healthy players on its roster.

Ferris

Jäsen
8 sadasosaa

erotti Calgaryn voitosta viime yönä! Kuten jatkoajankin nhl-rapparissa kerrottiin syntyivät kaikki kuusi maalia ottelun viimeisten 6 minuutin aikana.

Tässä jälleen Caps-pelaajien arvosanat yön ottelusta:

Well . . . that was fairly bee-zarre . . .

Forwards:

Jeff Halpern: B. Halpern played a somewhat uneven game. He seemed to want to be jumping up more in the offensive end at times, and all it got him was a lack of presence at either end. He did some good work creating some turbulence in front of McLennan on the Whitfield goal and battling on the Jagr goal, but for the most part couldn’t be found in-between, especially (and oddly enough) on defense. He was absolutely torched on draws, losing 18 of 25.

Peter Bondra: B+. Even when Bondra is not on the scoresheet, Bondra looks like he has more energy out there. By appearances, he likes playing with Grier; he seems to get into the spirit of banging people in his own end. I especially liked him yapping at the Calgary bench late in the third. I thought he was going to challenge someone to come out and settle things.

Bates Battaglia: C-. He had four shifts in the last 31 minutes. Given the type of game it was – a chippy affair -- Hanlon obviously saw something he didn’t like much, because Battaglia should have thrived in this sort of game. When he was out there, he was pretty much invisible. His level of intensity didn’t match that of his teammates or the Flames.

Kip Miller: incomplete. Did he get hurt? He had one shift in the last 39 minutes of play . . . one.

Matt Pettinger: B-. Matty, Matty, Matty. Ya gotta stay upright, son. You can’t defend anybody when you’re prone on the ice. He was deep into the spirit of the evening, for which I give him good marks. But he left himself and his goaltender a little too vulnerable to working the puck in deep.

Robert Lang: B+. Lang depends a lot on the ability to float into space to free himself for shots and passes. Calgary wouldn’t give him any, trying to force him to give up the puck before he was ready. I give him good marks for making the effort to fight through that stuff.

Trent Whitfield: A+. Absolutely his best game as a Cap, by light years. He was everywhere, doing everything, and all of it in 16 minutes. He won 18 of 26 draws, he was in the face of any Flame who crossed his path, he took Oleg Saprykin (Calgary’s best player tonight) off the ice with a fighting major, he played fine defense, and he scored a goal. What else should he have done, worked valet parking?

Mike Grier: B-. For 55 minutes, he was playing his "A" game. It fell apart for him late when he was just a step behind the play all over the ice. It was his best skating game in a while, and he was stepping it up on offense, but for one the few times I can remember, his effort didn’t seem to be quite there in the last five minutes.

Alexander Semin: B. Kid doesn’t take much crap, does he. I’m still scratching my head trying to figure out what he was chirping at the ref after he was whistled for the goalie interference penalty. I think Brad Watson is, too, since it had to be in Russian. He actually had more shifts late than early, and this might have been equal parts a plan (to take advantage of his jump over a team skating the third period in its second game of a back-to-back) and the need to get his offense out there late.

Stephen Peat: incomplete. No shifts in the last 48 minutes. Soon, they’ll be asking him for his ticket to watch the game.

Jaromir Jagr: A+. Leave the behind the goal line goal aside, and this would have been his best game in a month. Andrew Ference is an annoyance, dating to when Jagr was traded and ol’ Andy had a whole lot to say about Jagr. On this night, Ference was a speed bump when Jagr had the puck. But for the fact that Calgary can put some wide bodies out there to block shots, Jagr might have had a bigger night. He was stronger (and better) later than early, and he, too, could be seen getting into the spirit of the fracas, coming to the aid of teammates on a couple of occasions.

Darcy Verot: A-. I gotta tell ya . . . when Verot was called up, I thought all he was going to do was goon it up. The last few games, he’s displayed a decent sense of where to go without the puck and what to do with it. He’s not flashy, and we’re not going to make him out to be some diamond in the rough, skill-wise, but he’s shown some common sense out there and had reined in his darker urges. I thought he played a fine game tonight

Defense:

Jason Doig: D-. What was he doing on the Iginla goal?! He not only had his back to Iginla on the doorstep, he almost stepped on his own goalie! He had an excellent start to the game, flattening Steve Reinprecht in the corner, then it seemed to go to his head. He had a uniformly awful game thereafter. He was out there for all three Calgary goals.

Rick Berry: B. It would be easy to say Berry had a mediocre game, since he had only about nine minutes. But, he played counterpoint to the chippy play of Calgary, and I thought pretty effectively. His minutes were ladled out sparsely by Hanlon (reflecting the state of the Caps defense these days . . . if one gets hurt, does McPhee come out to the stands in the next pre-game skate and ask for volunteers?), but I thought he played a much more disciplined game than we’re used to. In some other games, Calgary’s style might have been met with some lame elbowing penalty away from the play and after the whistle.

Brendan Witt: A. Another guy who played his best game in a while. Maybe Calgary’s style woke him up, but Witt actually pushed and banged guys before the whistle blew. He was a leader tonight. He was directing traffic in faceoffs, he was solid in his own end, and he was right in the mix of all the cahootinizing after the whistle.

Joel Kwiatkowski: C-. Not as bad as Doig, if only because he showed more ability to actually move the puck forward. He was out there for all three Flames goals, too. Not a bad first 55 minutes, but was of almost a "let’s hang ‘im, ‘cuz shootin’s too good fer ‘im" quality of play.

Todd Rohloff: C-. Who? Hard to get a feel for his play with less than seven minutes, but any doubts about why he was let go by Washington and Columbus could be seen in one play . . . with the puck sliding toward the Washington end, Rohloff had two strides on Jarome Iginla to collect the puck. Iginla pretty much treated Rohloff like a skating pylon, leaving Rohloff to contemplate the back of his jersey. Fortunately, the puck was on Iginla’s backhand, so it didn’t do as much damage as it otherwise might have.

Sergei Gonchar: B. Well, he finally got off the schneid, goal scoring-wise. That one was quite awhile coming, but he butchered a tap in goal on a cross ice feed from Jagr . . . I thought spring training didn’t start until next month, but there was Sergei doing the bunting drill. He seemed a little less timid physically than he has been the last dozen games or so.

Goaltender:

Olaf Kolzig: A-. Hey, I thought Patrick Roy retired. Here’s the interpid goalie, going behind his own net to play the puck in the second period, and with a Flame on either side of him, the goalie thinks it would be a good idea to flip the puck behind him . . . it made for an interesting scramble in front and a save that might end up on SportCenter. Then, late in the third, he gets to play the puck once more . . . he doesn’t give the puck to Kwiatkowski cleanly (an underappreciated art), and the defenseman gets his pocket picked, leading to a Calgary goal. OK, now take away those two plays, and Kolzig was superb. Of the other two goals, the Lombardi goal was a product of a puck getting whacked out of thin air (a borderline high-stick from my seat), then the goalie almost getting run over by the shooter. The Saprykin goal was in large part a blown coverage. All in all, a .932 save percentage should win on most nights (but with the Caps, who gave up 44 shots on this night, it’s only a sometime thing).

Special Teams: B-. The power play could never get itself set up, and for that I credit some dogged determination on Calgary’s part to press the puck carrier aggressively. The Caps penalty kill was aggressive bordering on ornery. It is an improving work in progress.

Coaching: B. Hanlon has to make due with what he’s got, and he shortens the bench accordingly. He’s almost playing with 15-16 skaters instead of 18. Sometimes, that number shrinks when he goes to only four defensemen. I think he might have been burned on matchups late though . . . I wouldn’t think he’d have wanted Doig and Kwiatkowski out there against Iginla and McAmmond, but that’s what he was left with on the Flames’ last goal. One difference with Hanlon, though . . . the team isn’t rolling over in the face of adversity. They could have felt sorry for themselves after working to get the first goal, then giving up two in 29 seconds. They didn’t.

Overall: B+. It was the most entertaining game I’ve seen this year. In the second period, some fool was up behind me chanting, "bo-o-o-ring," no doubt thinking a scoreless game must be a snore. It wasn’t, at least not from my seat. The two teams came out hitting and looking for all the world as if they genuinely disliked each other. The Caps, playing against type, traded hit for hit for most of the game and showed an uncommon willingness to skate in to the defense of teammates.

My Three Stars:

Third Star: Olaf Kolzig, Washington Capitals
Second Star: Oleg Saprykin, Calgary Flames
First Star: Trent Whitfield, Washington Capitals

Slice o’ Pie: Jaromir Jagr, with eight-tenths of a second to spare . . . eight-puck off the side goalie.

Osmo Rapeli

Jäsen
Suosikkijoukkue
Kuusijuhla - Sex Festival
Oli sitten tulkintaerimielisyyksiä siitä missä se fani heilutteli sitä hauskaläppäistä kylttiään, nokan edessä vai kauempana...

noh, 100000 sakkoa ja viikon "pelikielto" Leonsikselle...

Ferris

Jäsen
Old time Caps hockey

Näkemättä yön peliä, mutta lukemalla Caps-boardien kommentteja, en voi olla sanomatta kuin että pelattaisiinpa joka peli Ragseja vastaan! ;)

Eilinen ottelu oli kuulemma jo lähellä sitä vanhaa kunnon Old time Caps-hockeytä, jossa duuni, tiukka ja fyysinenkin koko joukkueen puolustuspeli sekä loistava maalivahti nousevat kunniaan. Jos näin ei ollut, niin älä JLand tule rikkomaan tätä mielikuvaa, pliiz! ;)

Illan ottelun arvosanat:

Tonight's speacial . . ."grinders," with extra meat!

Forwards:

Dainius Zubrus: A-. Zubrus has become very adept at controlling the puck. He's become very hard to move off it, and he's developed a patience to let his skill carry the puck out of danger. He played a very solid defensive game. While he couldn't finish, he had a couple of decent chances in the Ranger end.

Jeff Halpern: A. The Caps centers are kind of smallish, especially for the East . . . Halpern, Whitfield and Verot are all 6', 200 or so. On the other hand, the Rangers can put Eric Lindros, Bobby Holik, Mark Messier, Petr Nedved, and even Jamie Lundmark out there. Halpern was one of a troop that fought and gouged for every inch of ice, doing a superb job of neutralizing the centers. Halpern's goal was just going to the net and being willing to take abuse. He won 10 of 15 draws, and his work on penalty killing was excellet.

Peter Bondra: B. Bondra was not particularly active in the offensive zone, and he sent two power play shot attempts wide, but he played a pretty good game in the defensive end. It was a grinders game, which Bondra doesn't necessarily excel at, but he was certainly in the spirit of things to try to keep the Ranger forwards to the outside.

Bates Battaglia: B. Battaglia did some very good work along the boards, both in stifling Ranger offensive thrusts and in moving the puck along the walls. He didn't draw many of the more difficult assignments in terms of line coverages, but he had a solid game nevertheless.

Matt Pettinger: B+. Pettinger is showing a keener determination with the puck. He seems more confident in carrying it (and in staying on his feet). Curiously, he had less than eight minutes of ice time and only two shifts in the last 26 minutes.

Robert Lang: B+. Lang played a typically understated style, but he was pretty effective in clogging the middle to keep a third man from doing any damage, and he was (for him) a monster on draws, winning 5 of 6.

Anson Carter: B. Not a bad game for his first return to New York. One might understand the pressure of being compared to Jagr in this contest, but Carter did a good job of playing within his abilities and was one of a host of forwards who had a solid defensive effort.

Trent Whitfield: A. Whitfield is the starving dog with a bone . . . he ain't letting go. He was spot welded to Ranger centers for most of the night, causing some frustration as a few Rangers were free and loose with their sticks. His goal was a thing of beauty in chipping the puck past Joel Bouchard and holding it until the last moment before sending it through Markkanen. He won 11 of 16 draws, and more than held his own against the bigger Ranger centers.

Mike Grier: B+. Grier was very animated in his play. Sometimes, he seems a bit too "nice"out there, taking abuse from opponents, but tonight, he was dishing hits along with the other Caps forwards after a comparatively passive first period.

Alexander Semin: B. Hey, the kid even played defense tonight. He was doing a good job covering the third man entering the zone and in collecting pucks off Ranger sticks. He even threw the occasional hit. It wasn't the kind of game that would allow him to showcase his offensive skills, but he contributed in a lot of other ways.

Stephen Peat: B-. He got marginally more ice time than he's been getting (more than six minutes), and he played a disciplined sort of game, consistent with what the team style was tonight and what apparently is the kind of game Hanlon is looking to install.

Darcy Verot: incomplete. It was Verot's turn to sit on the end of the bench tonight, getting just over five minutes. Like every Caps center tonight, he won more than he lost on draws (3 of 5).

Defense:

Josef Boumedienne: B. He moved the puck pretty well, but there were a couple of instances in which he nearly stumbled chasing the puck with no one near him. He was part of a consistent effort to collapse the pocket around Kolzig and not allow Rangers inside position for rebounds or loose pucks.

Jason Doig: A. Certainly his best game of the season, perhaps his best game with the Caps. In no game I've seen him in has he read plays better, whether in his end or jumping up in the offense. Having the sense of good timing to jump in and pick up the puck as Robert Lang was moving back toward the blue line was a good play in itself, but it was the pass to Halpern that was the real gem. It would have been tempting to just whip the puck through the crease, only to see it rocket out of the zone. But Doig feathered it onto Halpern's backhand with a Ranger defenseman pondering his stick lying on the ice. Then there was the hit on Lindros. Hey, Lindros dipped his shoulder to swerve by one Cap. That left him with his head down . . . Doig had him lined up and drove his shoulder into him. Nothing wrong or dirty about it. It's the kind of open ice hit you just don't see a lot of these days. That he was on the ice for the Ranger goal was not necessarily his fault; credit Martin Rucinsky for hitting a nice fungo out of the air.

Rick Berry: B+. I thought Berry played a nice little game. He was disciplined, yet he picked his spots well to jump up and foil a Ranger advance. His one glaring mistake was one he made up for, when he allowed Jagr to carry the puck wide and in on Kolzig, but Berry go enough of his arm to prevent a good shot. He took the penalty, but it was the play to make in that situation.

Brendan Witt: A. If only Witt would play like this all the time. More than 24 minutes, and he drew the assignment of shadowing Jagr, for the most part. He stepped up to the challenge in a big way. Even though Jagr had chances, e didn't get second chances, and Witt reminded Jagr of what it was like to play against him, having been put on his backside a couple of times . . . guess those goodbye hugs don't last long.

Joel Kwiatkowski: A-. Kwiatkowski was doing his level best to fill the role of Sergei Gonchar, launching shots from the point. His defense was very good, too. It really is about time that the snide remarks about this guy being a drooling boob end. He is not a top-two defenseman, which is almost the role he has to play on this team (meaning he's set up to fail), but he gives an effort every night, and he could be a reasonably competent 5-6 defenseman if the Caps ever get some of their other kids into the lineup down the road.

Todd Rohloff: B+. Rohloff can have success against a team like this, since the game is probalby going to be a rugged affair. Rohloff did a good job in interrupting Ranger progress and using the body to keep Rangers from packing in on Kolzig.

Goaltender:

Olaf Kolzig: A. Save one puck batted out of the air by Martin Rucinsky, he might have had the shutout. The Rangers can be a difficult team to match up against, and there will be times when they wear a team down, giving them chances. Kolzig slammed the door one them, except for his one failure to cleanly control a rebound (which might have been pried loose by a teammate's stick) that led to the Rucinsky goal. Whatever Kolzig's skills, and whether they are diminishing, his competitive fire doesn't seem to have gone on holiday. You got the feeling he wanted this one particularly bad.

Special Teams: B+. The power play is searching for an identity with Jagr gone and Bondra out. They just have no rhythm at the moment. The penalty kill gets highest marks for killing off the 5-on-3. They just wouldn't give up on a play.

Coaching: A. Hanlon and his crew appeared to devise a strategy that forced Ranger defensemen to give up the puck earlier than they wanted, thus keeping them from setting up plays in the neutral zone and keeping forwards from setting up shop while the defensemen controlled the puck. Consistently, the Caps engaged Ranger defensemen as deep as the Ranger line, then sprung the trap, keeping the Rangers from getting any flow. This one seems to be a coaching plus.

Overall: A. The story of this game, as far as I'm concerned, is the centers. They battled their counterparts to more than a draw . . . combined they won 39-of-59 draws, a phenomenal 66 percent as a group. Better still, they won 20 of 25 in their own end, stifling Ranger offense before it could get started.

My Three Stars:

Third Star: Trent Whitfield
Second Star: Jeff Halpern
First Star: Olaf Kolzig

Slice o' Pie: Brendan Witt, for being the tenderizer for Jaromir Jagr's ribs.

Stomper

Jäsen
Suosikkijoukkue
Hermes, Capitals, Liverpool
Treidin tuoksua ilmassa...

...ainakin Washington Postin mukaan. Erityisen vahvasti tällä hetkellä spekuloidaan Kolzigin siirtymisestä Philadelphiaan, joka epäilemättä tarvitsee kokeneen maalivahdin ryhmäänsä Eschen loukkaantumisen jälkeen. Kaupan toteutumista perustellaan myös Clarken ja McPheen yhteisellä historialla mm. Oatesin siirron osalta - tosin silloin Flyers-GM pelasi upporikasta ja rutiköyhää ja hävisi uhkapelinsä. Phillyn ryhmä on useana vuonna peräkkäin luottanut suhteellisen kokemattomiin NHL-veskoihin kevään ratkaisupeleissä - tulokset ovat olleet yleensä pettymyksiä, tavalla tai toisella maalivahdit ovat vähän pettäneet. Kolzig voisi olla puuttuva osa Clarken palapelissä. Tässäkin mielessä kauppa vaikuttaisi ihan sopivalta...

Mitä Capitals sitten saisi kaupassa? Flyersilla on lupaavia nuoria, nimistä Post mainitsee kolmikon Joni Pitkänen, Dennis Seidenberg ja Jim Vandermeer - heistä kuka tahansa kiinnostaisi Caps-johtoa.

Ferris

Jäsen
Re: Treidin tuoksua ilmassa...

Viestin lähetti Stomper
...ainakin Washington Postin mukaan. Erityisen vahvasti tällä hetkellä spekuloidaan Kolzigin siirtymisestä Philadelphiaan, joka epäilemättä tarvitsee kokeneen maalivahdin ryhmäänsä Eschen loukkaantumisen jälkeen. Kaupan toteutumista perustellaan myös Clarken ja McPheen yhteisellä historialla mm. Oatesin siirron osalta - tosin silloin Flyers-GM pelasi upporikasta ja rutiköyhää ja hävisi uhkapelinsä. Phillyn ryhmä on useana vuonna peräkkäin luottanut suhteellisen kokemattomiin NHL-veskoihin kevään ratkaisupeleissä - tulokset ovat olleet yleensä pettymyksiä, tavalla tai toisella maalivahdit ovat vähän pettäneet. Kolzig voisi olla puuttuva osa Clarken palapelissä. Tässäkin mielessä kauppa vaikuttaisi ihan sopivalta...

Mitä Capitals sitten saisi kaupassa? Flyersilla on lupaavia nuoria, nimistä Post mainitsee kolmikon Joni Pitkänen, Dennis Seidenberg ja Jim Vandermeer - heistä kuka tahansa kiinnostaisi Caps-johtoa.

Itse en jotenkin usko, että Olie-kauppaa kuitenkaan tapahtuu ihan vielä lähiaikoina. Ennemminkin sitten tuola maaliskuun aikana ehkä.

Pitkäsen saaminen kaupassa vaatisi todellista "Clarkeilua" Clarkelta, sen sijaan jompi kumpi jälkimmäisistä voisi varmaan realistisesti ajateltunakin olla osana kauppaa kyllä. Seidenberg on ymmärtääkseni kiekollisena taitavampi kun taas Vandermeer on enemmän tätä fyysistä osastoa, joka suojelee omaa maaliaan. Jos Goncharista ollaan pyrkimässä eroon, niin Seidenbergistä voisi ajatella hänen korvaajaansa, mutta jotenkin meikää enemmän kiinnostaisi tuo Vandermeer. Jos hänestä vaikka saataisiin vihdoin se Tinordin korvaaja.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yleisesti ottaen näyttäisi siltä, että Capsien pelityyli on palaamassa vähitellen siihen vanhaan tuttuun duunarikiekkoon. Hanlon on nostanut Portlandista siinä määrin paljon pelureita ylös, että fanit kutsuvat joukkuetta jo leikkimielisesti Washington Piratesiksi tai Portland Capitalseiksi. Ei ihme, sillä joukkueessa pelaa tällä hetkellä kymmenen Piratesissa tällä kaudella pelannutta kaveria. Joukkueen ilme on muuttunut fyysisempään suuntaan, joka on mukava kuulla. Innolla odotan ensi yön peliä canalilta, toivottavasti Capsit pystyvät tarjoamaan kunnon vastuksetn Phillylle. Viimeisin voittohan Philadelphiassa pelattaessa on niinkin kaukaa vuoden 1998 alussa.

Carter on kotiutunut ilmeisen hyvin joukkueeseen, pisteitä on tullut melkein piste per peli ykkösketjussa Halpernin ja Langin kanssa. Viime yön peli oli ollut kuuleman mukaan kaverin paras Caps-paidassa. Ouellet oli myös ollut loistava tolppien välissä.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bondra, Lang, Kölzig ja Gonchar ovat olleet kovasti kauppahuhujen kohteena. On todella mielenkiintoista nähdä mitä kyseisten herrojen kohdalla tapahtuu.

Bondra varmasti kiinnostaa montaakin tahoa, etenkin niitä jotka tarvitsisivat ylivoimaspesialistia joukkueeseensa. Bonzai kauppaaminen saattaa olla kuitenkin vaikeaa McPheelle, koska slovakki on julkisesti ilmoittanut haluavansa pelata koko uransa Caps-paidassa.

Bondralla on joukkue-optio ensi kaudesta, joka takaa hälle miljoonan mikäli optiota ei käytetä. Voi olla, että Mcphee kauppaa Bondran johonkin tälle sopivaan joukkueeseen ja Bonzai palaa sitten mahdollisena UFA:na vielä päättämään uransa Washingtoniin. Toinen vaihtoehto voisi olla, että tehdään uusi soppari halvempaan hintaan. Bondran kohdalla näkisin tämän olevan jopa melko mahdollistakin.

Bondran ohella Kölzig on hieman samassa tilanteessa. Kiinnostusta mieheen varmasti on, vaikka kulunut kausi ei kokonaisuutena varmasti ole tyydyttänyt itse veskariakaan. Olien kauppaamista vaikeuttaa kahden vuoden ja 12 millin soppari sekä se, että myöskään hän ei tahtoisi pois kaupungista. Oliehan julkisesti kertoi, että ellei joukkue suorita todellista loppuunmyyntiä ja ala rakentaa uutta joukkuetta, haluaisi hän mieluiten päättää uransa Capsina.

Kahden yllämainitun Caps-ikonin kohdalla Leonsis ja mcPhee joutuvat varmasti miettimään jonkin verran fanien kannalta mahdollisia kauppoja. Miten fanit suhtautuisivat joukkueen ainoiden ikonien kauppaamiseen?

Langin mahdollista kauppaamista vaikeuttaa myös soppari, jota on kolme kautta jäljellä 15 millin hinnalla. Lang on tällä kaudella ollut kyllä hyvä, itse asiassa mielestäni selkeästi palkkansa arvoinen. Olen henkilökohtaisesti alkanut tykätä miehestä enemmän vaikkei sentteri edelleenkään mikään puolustusmestari ole. Itse pitäisin Langin joukkueen ykkössentterinä ellei jotain todella hyvää tarjousta tule.

Gonhcar voi olla todennäköisin kaupattava. Pelillisesti haluaisin Gonzon jatkavan, mutta kylmä totuus lienee on, että palkka tulee tuplaantumaan seuraavaksi kaudeksi. Nyt kolme miljoonaa ja risat tienaava venäläinen on kauden jälkeen RFA ja hänellä on oikeus viedä palkkaneuvottelut välimiesoikeuteen. Goncharin sopparineuvottelut eivät ole milloinkaan olleet helpot ja monta yli 50 pisteen kautta peräkkäin takaavat hälle varmasti tuollaisen 5-7 millin palkan per kausi. Tuo summa lienee liikaa Capseille. LIsäksi kun Goncharin kauppa-arvo on selkeästi parhain "kaupattavista", luulen ettei miestä tämän kauden jälkeen nähdä enää kotkapaidassa.

-----

Että tällaista pitkästä aikaa, nyt oottelemaan yön peliä.

Osmo Rapeli

Jäsen
Suosikkijoukkue
Toronto Sunin huhuissa mainittiin nyt että Goncharista tarjottaisiin Nik Antropovia ja Aki Bergiä jos Gonchar on kaupan...

Ferris

Jäsen
Viestin lähetti goldenawe
Toronto Sunin huhuissa mainittiin nyt että Goncharista tarjottaisiin Nik Antropovia ja Aki Bergiä jos Gonchar on kaupan...

Kyllä tuo pari mulle kelpaisi, mutta mitään en usko ennen kuin capsien/toisen kauppaosapuolen sivuilla moista uutista näen. Siinä määrin paljon noita spekulointeja saa nyt lukea eri paikoista, että mahdoton enää vetää päätelmiä missä voi olla jotain perää ja missä ei. Laitetaan tähän pari spectorin sivuilta kopypastettua lisähuhua:

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

SENATORS STILL INTERESTED IN BONDRA.

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports Senators GM John Muckler is still interested in obtaining Washington Capitals winger Peter Bondra, but he isn't convinced the Caps are willing to part with him. Garrioch claims sources insist the Sens were close to obtaining Bondra a month ago and their offer of a second round pick and possibily a player remains with the Caps, but other clubs including the New Jersey Devils and Toronto Maple Leafs have gotten involved.

OTHER CAPS ON THE MOVE SOON?

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch also reported Bondra may not be the only Capital on the move. He claims goalie Olaf Kolzig could be headed to the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for defenceman Martin Skoula. Meanwhile, the Detroit Red Wings are believed interested in center Robert Lang, the Toronto Maple Leafs in defenceman Sergei Gonchar and the Montreal Canadiens in Brendan Witt.

Spector's Note: Bondra and Gonchar are the easiest to move because their contracts expire after this season. Bondra would be a playoff rental, but Gonchar will be a Group II free agent with arbitration rights this summer, and that might cool off some of the interest in him. Lang is talented but still carrying $15 million US over the next three years so he'll be very tough to move. As for Witt, it's believed the Caps want to retain him and given the inexperience on their blueline it's understandable.

Ferris

Jäsen
Viestin lähetti Ferris

SENATORS STILL INTERESTED IN BONDRA.

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports Senators GM John Muckler is still interested in obtaining Washington Capitals winger Peter Bondra, but he isn't convinced the Caps are willing to part with him. Garrioch claims sources insist the Sens were close to obtaining Bondra a month ago and their offer of a second round pick and possibily a player remains with the Caps, but other clubs including the New Jersey Devils and Toronto Maple Leafs have gotten involved.

Kerrankin, valitettavasti, Garrioch tiesi jotain: Bondra lähti Ottawaan Cupin metsästykseen.

Sanattomaksi vetää kun se pelaaja, joka aikanaan sai minut kiinnostumaan Capseista lähti muualle.

Suosikkijoukkue
Two Degrees of Mike Sillinger
Yllättävän pienellä hinnalla lähti Bondra. Olisin Capsien GM:nä vaatinut ainakin yhtä vakiopelaaja, vaikka Ottawan nelosketjusta.
Toki Bondra on jo 36-vuotias, mutta silti...saihan Bostonkin Coloradosta esim. Rolstonin Bourque-kaupassa.

Bondra on myös omia suosikkejani NHL:ssä. Capsistä on tällä kaudella lähtenyt kaksi todella pitkäaikaista pelaajaa, Kono on tietysti toinen.

Suosikkijoukkue
Colorado Avalanche.
Viestin lähetti Espoon Siniset
Yllättävän pienellä hinnalla lähti Bondra. Olisin Capsien GM:nä vaatinut ainakin yhtä vakiopelaaja, vaikka Ottawan nelosketjusta.
Toki Bondra on jo 36-vuotias, mutta silti...saihan Bostonkin Coloradosta esim. Rolstonin Bourque-kaupassa.

Bondra on myös omia suosikkejani NHL:ssä. Capsistä on tällä kaudella lähtenyt kaksi todella pitkäaikaista pelaajaa, Kono on tietysti toinen.

Ja Colorado sai tälläsen köykäsen yv-maalien tekijän ku Dave Andreychuk?

Monte-Cristo

Jäsen
Suosikkijoukkue
HIFK, Sens, sympatiat Kerholle
Menee toisen pääkaupunkijoukkueen kommentoinniksi, mutta suotakoon se tällä kertaa, vai mitä?

Ottawan hyökkäys on nyt lievästi ilmaistuna huikea. Tämän siirron voi ehkä nähdä jonain strategiavalintana: if we can't outmuscle them, we can outscore them. Eli nyt on sellaisia tykkejä niin monta kappaletta, että vastustajalla on vaikeuksia pitää heitä kaikkia. Tokihan remmiin on lisätty kovuutta Todd Simpsonin ja pelotetta Rob Rayn muodossa, mutta joku Varadan paikkaaja olisi silti saattanut olla parempi vaihtoehto kuin Bondra.

Tai sitten olen vain langennut tähän kollektiiviseen "Sens on pehmeä"-illuusioon ja murehdin turhia - selvisihän tämä "pehmeä" porukka vuosi sitten maalia, paria vaille finaaliin.

Cube

Jäsen
Voi vitun vittu. Oliko tämänkin ihan pakko tapahtua? Nyt on pakko toivoa Ottawalle Cupia. Toivottavasti kuitenkin päästävät Bonzain vapaalle kauden jälkeen, niin saadaan #12 takaisin kotiin..

Seuraavaksi sitten Ollie, Gonch, ja Lang. Caps on kuollut.

Ferris

Jäsen
Viestin lähetti Espoon Siniset

Uuden sukupolven rakentaminen on alkanut ja sen vuoksi on viisaampaa ottaa Laich kuin joku vakipeluri Sensien nelosesta. Kauppa riipaisee sydämestä edelleen, mutta Laich vaikuttaa lupaavalta kaverilta. Kyseinen sentteri oli kauppahetkellä Sens-farmin kolmanneksi paras pistemies, kuten myös koko ahl:n rookiesta pistepörssin kolmonen.

Bondran kauppa-arvoa laski varmasti tuo 4,5 millin palkka sekä se tosiasia ettei tehoja ole enää tullut tasaviisikoin viime vuosina aikaisempaan malliin. Bondran sopparissa on optio myös seuraavasta kaudesta 4,5 millin hintaan. Sens saa siis päättää käyttävätkö he sen vai eivät. TSN mukaan ovat käyttämässä jos ei tule lakkoa/sulkua. Eli käytännössä luultavimmin eivät käytä vaan maksavat sitten millin Bondralle ja päästävät UFAksi. MIkään ei estä sen jälkeen palaamasta Capseihin, jos vielä kiinnostaa. Voi olla ettei kiinnosta tämän kaupan jälkeen, Bondrahan julkisesti kertoi pariin eri otteeseen ettei halua lähteä.

Ainoa todella positiivinen asia tässä on, että nhl-idolillani on vihdoin todella hyvä mahdollisuus voittaa Stanley. Tästä päivästä lähtien alankin gloryhuntata Sensejä, loppukauden ajan vain tottakai.

Nyt vain odotellaan sitten niiden kolmen - neljän muun veteraanin kauppaamista....

Ferris

Jäsen
Viestin lähetti Cube

Seuraavaksi sitten Ollie, Gonch, ja Lang. Caps on kuollut.

Niin, se sukupolvi on kuolemassa mihin ollaan totuttu. Uutta synnytetään samalla. Pakko yrittää ajatella positiivisesti, vaikka tekee kipeää...

Maple Leaf

Jäsen
Suosikkijoukkue
HIFK, Toronto Maple Leafs, Pat Quinn -lahko

Huhujen mukaan Toronto on ollut Goncharin perässä jo kuukausia, ja samoissa huhuissa on viikko toisensa perään lueteltu mahdollisina vaihdokkaina pian lähes koko Leafsin miehistö Sundinia ja Belfouria lukuunottamatta. Toki Gonchar olisi loistava hankinta, mutta Antropov ja Berg olisivat mielestäni kyllä Leafsille jo liian kova hinta miehestä. Jompikumpi ja varausvuoro tai jompikumpi ja joku AHL-mies kuulostaisi huomattavasti kohtuullisemmalta.

Osmo Rapeli

Jäsen
Suosikkijoukkue
Viestin lähetti Maple Leaf
Toki Gonchar olisi loistava hankinta, mutta Antropov ja Berg olisivat mielestäni kyllä Leafsille jo liian kova hinta miehestä. Jompikumpi ja varausvuoro tai jompikumpi ja joku AHL-mies kuulostaisi huomattavasti kohtuullisemmalta.

Se riippuu vähän siitä mihin Toronton GM uskoo - onko joukkue yhden superpakin päässä Stanley Cupista...siinä tapauksessa ei olisi kovinkaan kova hinta kannusta.

Maple Leaf

Jäsen
Suosikkijoukkue
HIFK, Toronto Maple Leafs, Pat Quinn -lahko
Se riippuu vähän siitä mihin Toronton GM uskoo - onko joukkue yhden superpakin päässä Stanley Cupista...siinä tapauksessa ei olisi kovinkaan kova hinta kannusta.

Tietenkin näin. Minun mielestäni Toronton kannu ei ole yhden superpakin hankinnan takana, vaan jo nyt Leafsissa pelaavien (ja toivottavasti myös sairastuvalta pian palaavien) miesten omissa käsissä. Boston-tappion jälkeen valmentaja Quinn murehtikin pelaajien hätäilyä puolustuspäässä: taidot kyllä riittäisivät paljon parempaan, mutta pelit tehdään itse vaikeammiksi kuin mitä ne todellisuudessa olisivatkaan.

Tuskin kukaan pitäisi kuitenkaan Goncharia heikkona hankintana, mutta Leafsin miehistö on kyllä tällaisenaankin, omalla tasolla pelatessaan, kova pala kenelle hyvänsä (niin kuin on kyllä Ottawakin, etenkin Bondran hankkimisen jälkeen). Viimeisten pelien perusteella Leafs tarvitsisi kuitenkin kipeimmin hyvää kakkosmaalivahtia - eikös sieltä Washingtonista nyt joutaisi yksi suhteellisen hyvä kaveri...?

Stomper

Jäsen
Suosikkijoukkue
Hermes, Capitals, Liverpool
Surkea kauppa...

...sanokaa minun sanoneen. Mitä Capsit varausvuoroilla tekee, kun ne hoidetaan päin h-vettiä? Joo, Laich voi vaikuttaa ihan lupaavalta kaverilta, mutta DC:n ja Portlandin väliä hinkatessaan menee aivan varmasti pilalle!

Kaikkein eniten satuttaa se, että treidi tehtiin vastoin Bondran toiveita. Ei tuollaista legendaa uransa loppumetreillä myydä, jos hän ei itse sitä pyydä. "Halusimme antaa hänelle mahdollisuuden Cupin voittamiseen" - voi j-kauta kun sitä ollaan tekopyhiä.

Capseilla ei ole enää sydäntä. Toivon mukaan Bondra vie Sensit loppuun asti.

Caps-fani myytävänä.

Ferris

Jäsen
Nylanderin "kahden viikon lepo" vihdoin ohi. Mies palaa ensi yön pelissä kokoonpanoon. Samoin Zubrus on myös pelikunnossa. Gruden on siis ainoa sairastupalainen tällä hetkellä.

Nylanderilla olisi sitten kuusi peliä aikaa näyttää huippukuntoa, jolla herra saataisiin kaupatuksi. Toisaalta en olisi pettynyt jos Nylis jatkaisi Capseissa seuraavallakin kaudella, voisi olla sellainen sopivan kokenut kaveri nuoreen porukkaan.

snipercaps

Jäsen
Suosikkijoukkue
Washington Capitals, Kärpät
Lang Detroitiin

Kaupanteko jatkuu.
Lang kaupattu Detroitiin ,vaihdossa tulevat Tomas Fleischmann ja ensikesän ykköskierroksen varaus sekä neljännen kierroksen oikeus 2006. Enää voi toivoa vain että edes Gonchar jäisi Washingtoniin.Fleischmann on ainakin pelannut hyvin WHL:n Moose Jawissa. Tehot: 53 28+41=69.

Ainakin taloudelliselta kannalta kannattava siirto, tosin ei niinkään pelillisesti.
Tulevaisuus näyttää siis hyvältä, tosin tältä kaudelta ei voi paljoa toivoa.

Tässäpä muutama juttu aiheesta:
www.washingtoncaps.com/news/index.cfm?cont-id=232341

www.jatkoaika.net/nhl.php?sivu=uutiset&id=3089

Viimeksi muokattu:
Kirjaudu sisään, jos haluat vastata ketjuun. Jos sinulla ei ole vielä käyttäjätunnusta, rekisteröidy nyt! Kirjaudu / Rekisteröidy